May 23, 2011

My fantastic world


Facebook - The birth of the need: This is how legally approved voyeurism must look like. It's a community of culprits and victims with each member able to choose and change their role whenever they please. This creates a wave of behavior patterns that I think are worth noting. I would like to assume that I represent an average FB addict. Because frankly, despite the possibility, there's really not a lot of things that an average person does on a regular basis on the net. Internet, is pretty much like the genie who appears whenever you rub the lamp. And it waits there to grant your wish. It was easy at first, becasue you had this huge pool of unfulfilled dreams that needed attention. Later on, it starts getting unnerving when you have such a powerful option by your side, and you realize that you are not making use if it, there by losing out to all other Aladdins of the world. So while I did check out some wicked chicken recipe, watched some netflix, surfed on the lonely planet, I really don't want to do this over and over everyday. That's where FB comes in.

The Analogy: Anybody who has lived in a big city knows how scarce privacy is. You lose out on it as soon as you open the window of your apartment to get some fresh air in. Theoretically, I can live without opening the window, and it will also keep the dust away. But I like the idea of opening it every now and then, so that my neighbor across the street can see my place. Although I don't know my neighbor, but it matters gravely to me of what I think he/she thinks of my place. So even if I keep the entire apartment shabby, I make it a point that the small part of the apartment that is visible, stays beautiful and desirable.

Reaction oriented Action: A friend of mine got recently married; somebody just had a baby; somebody is not feeling like studying today - all such important news keep flowing in, as I run through my latest news feed on FB. Some friends want me to watch a video, so they scream "Amazing", "Incredible", "Must See".


A friend of mine posted pictures of him and his wife traveling the world around. I don't know why he is doing this. He has 400 friends listed on his FB. The couple look absoluely de-coupled and bored. With no additional comments provided to the uploaded picture, I would believe that he wants me to admire the scenic backdrop. When I first actively joined FB, I had these strong urges to tell my friends what I actually felt like. But although I think my married friend is looking glum, my comments now sound like "Lovely pic!". Yes, I am a FB socialite. I lie openly so that my social life lives on. Actually another 20 of his friends felt more/less the same way, so they 'liked' it as well. This got my friend into a mad spree of posting dozen more such pics. But telling the truth would never meet the purpose. Not only will I possibly dent our friendship, and hence lose out on a potential fan to support my present and future FB scribbles, I am afraid it may just push him down the wrong side. By quantifying the comments, my friend gets to know that while 19 of his friends liked it, 1 friend has openly abused him. Lo-behold, I shall then be the social network outcast.
As I learn and experience the FB culture with every passing day, I realize that people really do not want my honest opinion when they post a pic or when they tell you what's on their mind. Funny - I thought the game was : you say what's on your mind, and I'll say what's on my mind after reading what's on you mind! They don't want a debate; and they don't like delving into a thought. All they want to know is, if you are a fan.  This is not a platform to express yourself. It positively stops you from doing so. It's useless and essential in the same breath, just like the real-world society. And hence we note the futility in realizing a space in this world (virtual or real) where we can act and react seamlessly. Both these societies are democratic with an over impetus on quantity over quality. It is run by the theory that if 51% of people think that 2+2 = 5 then that's the new law. 

Prelude: Remember the happy innocent stone age of internet world when shady smoky chatrooms were the cult? Places where you established your identity with "22/M/Ind". It was so hard to get to sell myself with just these 3 attributes. My options, I thought, were limited. But then came deceit - why not let's behave like a spirit and get into "20/M/ny" or maybe "18/F/UK".

The world's changed - we are no longer dceit hungry - we like the voyeur inside.

I can't wait for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Nikky said...

Loved your thoughts on FB. I am slightly guilty of commenting "How cute" for a baby who is over-fed or writing "stunning" when I want to say "what were you thinking". In any case, i figured we live in an artificial world so there you go. meanwhile, I don't exactly care for comments on my pctures either and don't think anyone is interested in what I ate, what I drank or how many times I went to the loo. But I'll post them all the same :)

S.E. said...

Great write. Heads up - I'm "inspired" and might be using this as "inspiration" for my next post :)

........RAINDROPS........

From tolstoy 2 dahi vada & havana club 2 Khwaja mere khwaja
- Anything that can possibly leave its fragrance on
a swiftly eroding memory.