September 2, 2009

Pebble Letters....

There I was, splashing random stones into the water, thinking about you. I badly wanted to dig into my brain and scoop out every single cherished memory of you.

I remember when I was 15 and you gave me "The Good Earth" to read. How you anxiously waited for me to finish the book. With due respect to Pearl S Buck, the best part of reading the novel was the discussion and the analyses that followed. I have forgotten everything we discussed, but I remember the satisfaction on your face.
I remember the 1994 FIFA World Cup that we watched together. The world cup was Italy's to win, but they lost. I have forgotten what you told me when I was incessantly sobbing for Italy, but I remember making Roberto Baggio my Hero.
I remember each of my visit to Bhadrak (Kaibalya). How you made me feel special, the same way, every single time. The loud pitched "APPULIYAAA", the hug, the kiss, the pampering, getting Bou to cook everything I liked, the drinks, the chats, the library. To the point where I felt guilty for all the unconditional love and affection. I was always the lucky lottery ticket winner whose ticket read CODE : "grandson", VALIDITY : "forever".
The 1999 Super Cyclone had filled Kaibalya knee deep with water. A few days later, you and I sat down and opened a chest full of gramophone records that were now twisted and beyond repair. It brought out your memories and stories (most of which I have duly forgotten), but I remember the eyes.
As I thought through many such snippets, I noticed that my hands, unknown to me, were sifting away the rough pebbles. I was picking up only the smooth pebbles and splashing them into the water. I realized, and as soon as I did, the moment vanished. The smooth pebbles in my hand were the unsaid memory-letters between you and me.





No comments:

........RAINDROPS........

From tolstoy 2 dahi vada & havana club 2 Khwaja mere khwaja
- Anything that can possibly leave its fragrance on
a swiftly eroding memory.